Edward Jaffee Abes
Ed Abes is the founding shareholder of Abes Baumann. He has over 45 years of experience in practicing law in Western Pennsylvania and, today, is solely focused on representing injured workers.
From 1972 to 1978, Ed worked for the State Workers’ Insurance Fund as a Special Assistant Attorney General. In 1978, he decided to use his knowledge and experience of Workers’ Compensation to establish a law firm dedicated to fighting for injured workers.
Not long after opening the doors at Abes Baumann, Ed began representing injured professional athletes as a member of the Workers’ Compensation Panels of the National Football League Players Association, the National Hockey League Players Association, and the Professional Hockey Players Association. The Major League Baseball Players Association also recommends Abes Baumann to their injured players.
In addition to practicing law full-time, Ed has volunteered his time on a number of boards and committees including chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section Liaison Committee, which facilitates communication among the judges, administrators, and attorneys of the Workers’ Compensation judicial system. Ed is past president of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and past treasurer of the Allegheny County Democratic Committee.
Ed has won numerous industry awards and accolades during his career. In 2011, Ed was elected to the National Academy of Social Insurance. Super Lawyers Magazine has listed him as one of the top 5% of lawyers in Pennsylvania since 2004 and also as one of the Top 50 Lawyers in Pittsburgh. He has been recognized continuously since 2004 by Best Lawyers in America as one of Pittsburgh’s Best Workers’ Compensation Lawyers.A graduate of Pennsylvania State University and Duquesne University School of Law in Pittsburgh, Ed currently resides in the City of Pittsburgh. Ed has a son, Eric, who, following five years in the United States Army and law school, joined Abes Baumann.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers of America, 2004-Present
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Workers’ Compensation, 2004-2018
- Top 50 Lawyers in Pittsburgh by Super Lawyer Magazine
- Pittsburgh’s Best Lawyer, Workers’ Compensation, 2010-Present
- Professional Hockey Players’ Association Workers’ Compensation Panel Attorney of the Year
- National Football League Players Association Workers’ Compensation Panel Attorney of the Year
- Pennsylvania Bar Association Workers' Compensation Section 2016 Irvin Stander Award for Professionalism
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Football League Players Association, Workers’ Compensation Panel, 1981-Present
- National Hockey League Players Association, Workers’ Compensation Panel, 2000-Present
- Professional Hockey League Players Association, Workers’ Compensation Panel, 1999-Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section, Chair, 1993-1994
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Workers’ Compensation Section, Past Co-Chair
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Liaison Committee, Chair
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Sports Lawyers' Committee
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member, Fee Dispute Committee
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Trustee and Chair, Allegheny County Bar Foundation Loans and Scholarship Fund, 1980-Present
- Workers Injury Law and Advocacy Group, Sustaining Member
- National Academy of Social Insurance (NASI)
- Allegheny County Democratic Committee, Treasurer, 2006-2011
- American Civil Liberties Union, President, Pittsburgh Chapter, 2000-2005
- The College of Workers' Compensation Lawyers, Fellow
Seminars and Presentations
- Ed has been a presenter at numerous seminars for various Bar Associations and Trial Lawyer Associations.
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation
Bar and Court Admissions
- Pennsylvania, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1969
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court, 1969
- Duquesne University School of Law
- J.D., 1969
- Honors: President, Student Bar Association (1968-1969)
- Pennsylvania State University
- B.S., 1965